Date:      Mon, 28 Aug 2000 16:57:32 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Jim Jagielski <jim@jaguNET.com>
To:        bright@wintelcom.net (Alfred Perlstein)
Cc:        jim@jaguNET.com (Jim Jagielski), nepolon@systray.com (Steve Lewis), jepace@pobox.com (James E. Pace), freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Scaling Apache?

Alfred Perlstein wrote:

> * Jim Jagielski <jim@jaguNET.com> [000828 12:04] wrote:
> > Steve Lewis wrote:
> > >
> > To some, anything that says "threaded" is automatically better.
> > Whether it is or it isn't. :)
>
> Let me put it another way:
>
>    Apache sucks for performance, my grandmother (dead) can handle
>    load better than apache.

Oh really... :/

> And assuming that I'm naive enough to be in the "threaded is better"
> camp is stupid, you should have researched my previous postinging
> before making such an incorrect assumption.

Who assumed here? Looks like you did. I assumed nothing. I simply
stated a fact that to some people threaded==better. Did I say
you? Nope. So _who_ exactly assumed here?

> Sure, if you cluster apache it helps hide the fact that it sucks
> for load because then you can have a thousand machines sucking in
> tandem.

Sorry. The front-end machine handles the full onslaught of requests
and offloads the actual _handling_ of those requests to other machines.
This was directly to the point that said Apache can't handle thousands
of simultaneous requests, which is itself an incredible murky and
fuzzy term.

> Yes that works for relatively heavy traffic, but not for extremely
> high amounts of traffic.

So Apache can handle "relatively heavy traffic" but not "extremely
high amounts of traffic"?

Apache was never designed to be "the fastest" web server around.
We designed it with different groundrules. With 2.0, one major
design consideration _was_ performance, and 2.0 does in fact kick
some ass and allows preforking, process/thread and "pure thread"
operation, which is good to have.