Date:      Thu, 23 Oct 2003 10:36:37 +0200
From:      des@des.no (Dag-Erling =?iso-8859-1?q?Sm=F8rgrav?=)
To:        chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   the IBM way

I'm sitting at my desk staring absently at my mousepad while thinking
deep thoughts about a proposed FreeBSD patch.

My mousepad happens to be an IBM promotional item for their smart card
security kit.  It is however a very *nice* mousepad (a 3M Precise
Mousing Surface thingy which is excellent for optical mice), and I
kinda like IBM, so I don't really mind.

Until I notice what is printed in the lower right-hand corner:

  FRU PN 33L5025

Now, at last, I can sleep soundly at night, safe in the knowledge that
if I ever lose or damage my mousepad, I can order a new one from IBM.

Except, that is, for the nights I lie awake, slightly disturbed and
worried at the idea of an IBM warehouse somewhere full of promotional
mouse pads, kept there in case someone calls in and asks for Field
Replaceable Unit Part Number 33L5025.

DES
--=20
Dag-Erling Sm=F8rgrav - des@des.no