Date:      Tue, 22 Oct 2002 01:59:30 -0400
From:      parv <parv_fm@emailgroups.net>
To:        FreeBSD Ports List <ports@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: ports/44321: devel/automake14 - packaging failure

in message <20021022015401.GA16039@wwweasel.geeksrus.net>,
wrote AlanE thusly...

> On Mon, Oct 21, 2002 at 09:33:41PM -0400, parv wrote:
> >in message <200210210020.g9L0K25w075895@freefall.freebsd.org>,
> >wrote AlanE thusly...
>
> >alan, what other details you might have needed from me to solve the
> >problem?  i thought i gave submitted all the relevant data.  what
> >could be "*lots* more"?  output of "make -d A package"?
>
> The thing that enabled me to see the actual problem behind the
> symptoms was seeing the deinstall fail because what it thought
> was a file or link was a real directory.

thanks much for the explanation.

> BTW did you know that mail to parv@freebsd.org bounces? Or did
> earlier, anyway. (I did a direct reply to you and it came back.)

i don't have any account w/ freebsd.org; i sen[td] mail w/ "parv_fm"
user id w/ one of many domain names registered by fastmail.fm.

i think what happened is that somewhere some delivering program,
when it saw bare "parv" in the From:, added "@freebsd.org" as the
end (by default, even though the email address was enclosed in
between "<>").

at least that's what happens in some of the junk mails when i
finally see it.  i use fetchmail & postfix.  i haven't noted the
mail software of the two different servers where i have the
accounts.

  - parv