Date:      Wed, 29 Apr 1998 13:46:13 +0200
From:      =?iso-8859-1?Q?Patrik_=C5str=F6m?= <patrik.astrom@tv3.se>
To:        "'freebsd-questions@freebsd.org'" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Monitoring a HTTP service !!

Hi!

I need to monitor a Microsoft IIS server, I have lots of trouble with
this one and can not change to FreeBSD due to some special applications.
I would like to be able to have cron job that calls a program that
checks if this server respond to http requests. I could make bourne
script and use "wget" or some other software to retrieve a .html
document but I don't want to retrieve a document just se if the server
respond to calls on port 80. Is there a perl script that use the
"socket" call or some other neat way to fix this, I would be most
grateful for any hints or suggestions.

Regards Patrik Astrom, Stockholm