Date:      Tue, 4 Dec 2007 18:38:57 +0000
From:      Pollywog <lists-fbsd@shadypond.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: jabberd will not start on reboot, only starts manually

On Tuesday 04 December 2007 18:28:42 Daniel Bye wrote:

> Check out the manual for rcorder(8), and look at the CAPITALISED files in
> /etc/rc.d.
>
> Essentially, LOGIN is a dummy service - it is used to control startup
> of services that should start late in the boot process. The jabberd control
> script told rcorder(8) that it should run *before* the LOGIN service,
> but the MySQL control script tells rcorder(8) that it wants to run
> *after* the LOGIN service. So although you had REQUIRE: mysql in jabberd's
> script, it was still getting run before MySQL. I guess. ;-)
>
> You can determine what order things get run by doing
>
>  # rcorder /etc/rc.d/* /usr/local/etc/rc.d/*
>
> Anyway, glad it worked. You might want to get in touch with the jabberd
> maintainer and see if he is willing to make the change permanent.

Thanks for the explanation.  I had gone to the ##freebsd channel on Freenode
for help and had been told to run

# rcorder /etc/rc.d/* /usr/local/etc/rc.d/*

This showed that I had succeeded in getting jabber to start after mysql, but
things were still not working properly.  I will email the jabberd maintainer
about my experience.

8)