Date:      Tue, 15 Aug 2000 00:29:05 -0400
From:      Peter Schwenk <peterschwenk@home.com>
To:        Nick Evans <nevans@nextvenue.com>
Cc:        "'freebsd-questions@freebsd.org'" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Samba

Does your system have a name, and is it in the /etc/hosts file?

I've got samba working just fine on my 4.1 system.  I've got a static IP
address assigned to me by my ISP, however.  I do have interfaces using
the non-routable ip addresses in the 192.168.x.y address range that have
names that I made up myself.  I have no trouble with samba using these
fake names.  At first glance, it seems that your system doesn't know
what it's own name is.