Date:      Mon, 18 Nov 1996 06:01:50 +0200 (EET)
From:      Heikki Suonsivu <hsu@clinet.fi>
To:        John Hay <jhay@mikom.csir.co.za>
Cc:        hsu@clinet.fi (Heikki Suonsivu), freebsd-bugs@freefall.freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: kern/1698: sup from around 21:51 GMT 28th very unstable  (mmap, maybe?)

John Hay writes:
 > > November 16 kernel is still unstable.  For last two kernels I got a
 > > deadlock within 5 minutes of newsfeed starting up, so something might have
 > > changed, from crash and filesystem corruption to deadlock.  August 19
 > > kernel still runs with no serious problems.
 > >
 > > Has anyone got a news server running reliably with kernels later than end
 > > of August (preferably ones with tag RELENG_2_2) ?  It seems odd that I can
 > > repeat this so easily, I would assume a lot of people should see this ?  I
 > > have gotten metoos from (only?) three people now.  This problem has been
 > > there for about 2 months now.
 > >
 > > The system is 3940, seagate Hawks for news disks, P120 ASUS TritonII, 96M.
 > > Exports two NFS disks (not the news partitions).
 > >

 > I have at least an uptime of more than a day. :-) I have rebooted with a
 > 14 Nov -current kernel yesterday morning and it is still running. The
 > machine is a 200Mhz Pentium with 128M RAM and a 2940UW controller with
 > 4 x 2G Hawks. Its got 3 feeds with an average of 180-200k articles per
 > day and feeds 3 other sites also. Oh if it makes a difference, the news
 > spool is a ccd disk over all 4 disks with a blocksize of 8k.

I'm not using ccd, but separate partitions, if one disk breaks down not all
news goes, and adding new disks would seem more troublesome.  Could you
mail me the kernel config file for this machine ?  180-200k articles seems
little to me, we are getting full feed, which probably is around 2G per day
?