Date:      Mon, 19 Jul 1999 08:01:58 -0700
From:      Cy Schubert - ITSD Open Systems Group <Cy.Schubert@uumail.gov.bc.ca>
To:        Matt Behrens <matt@zigg.com>
Cc:        Cy Schubert - ITSD Open Systems Group <Cy.Schubert@uumail.gov.bc.ca>, Dag-Erling Smorgrav <des@flood.ping.uio.no>, stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: make world shortcut (was Re: Snapshots)

In message <Pine.BSF.4.10.9907191023160.55477-100000@megaweapon.zigg.com
 Behrens writes:
> On Mon, 19 Jul 1999, Cy Schubert - ITSD Open Systems Group wrote:
>
> : In message <Pine.BSF.4.10.9907191007590.55417-100000@megaweapon.zigg.com>,
> : Matt Behrens writes:
>
> : > On 19 Jul 1999, Dag-Erling Smorgrav wrote:
>
> : > : 'make depend && make && make install' is much faster and works fine
> : > : for small incremental updates.
>
> : > Hmm, how do we know when it's not working fine?  After the system
> : > breaks? :-)
>
> : That's why the &&'s are there.  && only allows subsequent commands to
> : execute if the previous command returned with an exit status of 0.
>
> I guess my question was less of that and more of "can we be assured
> we will have a working system even if the entire process returns
> no error codes"?

That depends on the applications that make(1) calls.  C compilers and
linkers do a good job of returning non-zero return codes when errors
are encountered.  Perl/awk/shell scripts and other applications may or
may not depending on the application developer -- well written ones do.

Generally, I use && and have yet to experience any problems.  Make
world and many ports produce much output and take a long time to build.
 If one doesn't trust the returning of any error codes by applications
(or the make process), one will need to keep ones eyes glued to an
XTerm or run the build as a batch job in order to check every line of
output to verify that the build actually did build successfully.  To me
this seems paranoid or even Obsessive Compulsive.

Open Systems Group          Internet:  Cy.Schubert@uumail.gov.bc.ca
ITSD                                   Cy.Schubert@gems8.gov.bc.ca
Province of BC
                      "e**(i*pi)+1=0"