Date:      Tue, 3 Mar 1998 20:09:38 -0700
From:      Nate Williams <nate@mt.sri.com>
To:        jak@cetlink.net (John Kelly)
Cc:        Nate Williams <nate@mt.sri.com>, "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@FreeBSD.ORG>, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Donations.

> >My gut-level reaction to the donation is that you give the donater the
> >ability to give the developers a 'hint' at what they'd like, with the
> >understanding that it's only a hint.
>
> >Whaddya think?
>
> For small contributions it might be a workable model, but you'll never
> attract serious money if you're not willing to do the donors' bidding.

I don't think FreeBSD has the resources do deal with 'serious donors',
any more so than they're doing now.  (People with serious money are
willing to hire FreeBSD folks to do 'serious work' on their dime.  A
number of companies have done this already, and I don't see that
changing.  John Dyson, Julian, Poul-Henning, Jordan, David, and many
others are working full-time on FreeBSD and/or FreeBSD related projects
*right now* (apologies to those who I might have missed).

Basically, if you've got big $$ to spend, I think it's been shown that
many FreeBSD developers are willing to be long-term/short-term employees
and/or contract workers.

> All of you are thinking too small.  THINK BIG!

Big is already working, we need medium. :)

Nate