Date:      Mon, 19 Mar 2018 16:11:05 -0700 (PDT)
From:      "Rodney W. Grimes" <freebsd-rwg@pdx.rh.CN85.dnsmgr.net>
To:        Andreas Scherrer <ascherrer@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-net@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Multicast/SSDP not working (on VLAN interface)

> Dear List
>
> I was unfortunately unable to find a way to search this mailing list's
> archive; so please bear with me if the question was answered before.

google:  site:freebsd.org Then what you are searching for

is one way to search all of freebsd.org for what you are seeking.

> My goal is to have DLNA clients (VLC, Heos music system, ...) in
> multiple networks discover a MiniDLNA server.
>
> The server shows up in VLC when it starts (or is restarted) after VLC is
> running. If the server is already running when VLC is started, VLC does
> not detect/find the server.
>
> Very much like this source states:
> https://sourceforge.net/p/minidlna/bugs/94/#8c8f
> I suspect a problem with the M-SEARCH messages the client is sending.
>
> Using tcpdump on the interface where M-SEARCH from VLC are coming in, I
> can indeed see the packets/messages arrive (they are sent from the
> client to 239.255.255.250). So it is is not a router or switch or
> whatever blocking the packets.
>
> Now, if I (manually) add a static route for 224.0.0.0/4 via the
> interface the M-SEARCH messages are coming in, everything starts to work!
>
> route add -net 224.0.0.0/4 -iface re1.32
>
> The (main) problem here is that I have multiple networks with clients in
> them. So a static route does not REALLY solve my problem.
>
> Also I do not (yet?) understand why the route should be required.
>
> What I see is that ifmcstat -f inet -i re1.32 does not list a membership
> for 239.255.255.250 when it is not working, but does list the membership
> when it is working...
>
> So I suspect that "something" is dropping the M-SEARCH packets for some
> reason after they are received. And I cannot get rid of the feeling that
> it has something to do with the fact that the incoming interface is a
> VLAN interface...
> My first guess, anti spoofing, seems not to be the problem (I am using
> ipfw and "not antispoof in" but that does not seem to drop any traffic).

Are you running with "firewall_type="simple""?
If so it is set to block all 224/4 packets, see this part
of /etc/rc.firewall:
        # And stop draft-manning-dsua-03.txt (1 May 2000) nets (includes RESERVED-1,
        # DHCP auto-configuration, NET-TEST, MULTICAST (class D), and class E)
        # on the outside interface
        ${fwcmd} table ${BAD_ADDR_TBL} add 0.0.0.0/8
        ${fwcmd} table ${BAD_ADDR_TBL} add 169.254.0.0/16
        ${fwcmd} table ${BAD_ADDR_TBL} add 192.0.2.0/24
        ${fwcmd} table ${BAD_ADDR_TBL} add 224.0.0.0/4
        ${fwcmd} table ${BAD_ADDR_TBL} add 240.0.0.0/4

	${fwcmd} add deny all from any to "table($BAD_ADDR_TBL)" via ${oif}

Your route effected this as your packets are no longer trying to
use an all interfaces path, but a specific interface, and that is
probably not ${oif} of your firewall.

> Do I miss something obvious or can someone point me in the right direction?

Probably just remove the 224.0.0.0/4 from the above table and
things may start to work.