Date:      Tue, 25 Apr 2000 10:43:38 +0300 (EEST)
From:      Jukka Simila <juksi@iname.com>
To:        Brooks Davis <brooks@one-eyed-alien.net>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG, Ryan Davis <ryand@zenspider.com>
Subject:   Re: 3.4S -> 4.0S botched, can't build anything now

On 25-Apr-00 Brooks Davis wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 24, 2000 at 09:53:46PM -0700, Ryan Davis wrote:
>> I followed the instructions in /usr/src/UPDATING as best I could, but
>> I still think it is conflicting on whether to build the kernel first
>> or not. Doesn't matter, trying to build the kernel first failed,
>> presumably because config has changed.

I wasn't able to build a custom kernel; instead I built a GENERIC and that
worked. (After I had similar problems like you)

>> I am trying to restore from tape now to see if I can roll out the
>> partial install until I get this under control. I am really
>> disappointed in how bad this transition has been. I usually brag to
>> linux bigots about how painless keeping up to date BSD is w/ cvsup
>> and /usr/src.
>
> That's the easiest answer.

I don't think so; I messed up my 3.4 installation (as I thought) when I tried
to upgrade to 4.0. Installworld gave me signal 12 thousands of times before I
went back to the UPDATING. Thou I had tried to make installworld with 3.4's
kernel and also tried to copy old sh to /bin/sh, when the new one gave the
signal 12, I was still able to compile the GENERIC. And after a reboot with
GENERIC, I could finish the installworld.

So if you (Ryan) just have the GENERIC (4.0) around, or are able to compile it,
then give it a try before starting it all over again. After you have a working
4.0 system, your custom kernel should also work.

Jukka Simila