Date:      Tue, 30 Jun 1998 14:11:30 -0400
From:      david@akadine.com
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Kernel can't find serial ports

Hi,

I have a new machine that I am trying to install FreeBSD 2.2.5 on.  It

is an Iwill P55XUW motherboard, Pentium 233MMX, 32MB Ram.  In the BIOS

(Award Modular BIOS 4.51PG, PNP extension 1.0A), Plug and Play OS is
turned off, irqs 3 and 4 are assigned to legacy ISA, serial ports 1 and
2 are enabled and serial port 1 is set to 0x3f8, serial port 2 to
0x2f8.  Everything as they should be and also what has worked for
installing FreeBSD on other machines.

According to the manual for the motherboard, the serial ports are 16550,

IRQ selectable from BIOS, Address changeable from system BIOS, NS16C550

Compatible compatible and the ports work fine in DOS and Windows.

I have stripped the machine of all cards save for a basic OAK video card

so as to minimize interactions, disabled the on board SCSI, but still

FreeBSD can't find the serial ports.  As I mentioned, the BIOS shows the

correct settings and when I installed FreeBSD, I told the installer to

use the same settings.

When I had an internal modem plugged in, that gets recognized no

problem, its just the serial ports on the motherboard that it has a

problem with.  The motherboard is USB capable with an add-on riser card
and in the PCI device listing it shows a Serial Bus Controller which I
don't know if its for USB or regular serial.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Please respond to my email address as well as the newsgroup, I don't
know which I would see first and perhaps others may find this info
useful.

Thanx!

David