Date:      Thu, 16 Feb 2006 17:16:51 -0800
From:      Ade Lovett <ade@FreeBSD.org>
To:        ports@FreeBSD.org
Cc:        Ade Lovett <ade@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   Time-limited call for testers: single libtool patch

Folks,

At http://people.FreeBSD.org/~ade/single-libtool.diff.bz2 is a
proposed patch that is aiming to go in before the freeze for 5.5/6.1,
and is currently undergoing 6-exp build testing.

In order to cover a few more angles, I've been requested to make this
patch available to a wider audience for testing.

The patch performs a major cleanup of the libtool environment within
FreeBSD:

* devel/libtool13 is now dead
* devel/libtool15 now installs as /usr/local/bin/libtool etc.
* all but two FreeBSD-specific hacks have been removed from the ports
version of libtool (which are in fact bugs within libtool itself),
paving the way for the removal of devel/gnu-libtool, since "our"
libtool is now stock.
* ports only rely on libtool as a build-time dependency if they
absolutely need it (either because the port also uses automake/
autoconf etc., uses more advanced features of libtool itself, and so
on) - the accepted convention for libtool-using code is to provide
their own pre-packaged version of libtool within the source tarball
itself, and for the Makefiles inside to use that, rather than an
external version.

This brings the FreeBSD use of libtool into line with most (if not
all) other platforms, most notably Linux and (possibly somewhat more
importantly) NetBSD's pkgsrc/

This patch has already been subjected to a considerable amount of
build testing, both on my own hardware, and more recently, on the
dosirak and pointyhat build clusters (thanks, Kris), but we're
looking for more, specifically on non-i386 and non-amd64 architectures.

A few notes.

1.  This patch is large, affecting 2,294 files and 1,375 ports.
2.  Whilst a portupgrade -a does work, testing should really be done
on a clean system (or a clean chroot/jail), better still, in a ports
tinderbox environment
3.  I need feedback no later than 2/19
4.  As a pre-emptive strike, comments regarding "installation of .la
files is icky" will be gleefully ignored.  All other libtool-using
platforms do it, we're the odd ones out here, and it's time to cut
down on the (large) number of FreeBSD-specific autotools related issues.

Thanks,
	-aDe