Date:      Thu, 25 Apr 2002 14:19:38 -0400 (EDT)
From:      John Baldwin <jhb@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Dag-Erling Smorgrav <des@ofug.org>
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.org, Hiten Pandya <hiten@uk.FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   Re: Spin lock (?) problems with MUTEX_PROFILING

On 25-Apr-2002 Dag-Erling Smorgrav wrote:
> John Baldwin <jhb@FreeBSD.org> writes:
>> This means WITNESS is broken with MUTEX_PROFIING (I guess they were
>> never tested together without WITNESS_SKIPSPIN).
>
> WITNESS makes my box about as useful as a heap of bricks, so no,
> MUTEX_PROFILING was never tested with WITNESS.

Since WITNESS makes sure you use locks properly, you should use it when
you are making changes to the locking subsystem.  Esp. if you are
messing with spin locks.  It may be slow but it's still usable for doing
a bootup.  Getting into single user mode with profiling on would have
highlighted this problem.