Date:      Mon, 8 May 2000 07:53:19 +1000
From:      Jesse Reynolds <lizst@va.com.au>
To:        freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   Fujitsu Laptop can't find anything after booting

Hi

I've tried 3.4-R and 4.0-R on this Fujitsu 735D laptop I have... I
have it dualbooting, with the FreeBSD boot manager, NT 4 is installed
in a partition that takes up the first 500Mb of the disk and this
boots fine.... I'm now trying to install FreeBSD in a partition that
takes up the rest of the disk - a 1.6Gb disk.

When I choose "F2 - FreeBSD" from the bootmanager, it boots the
kernel fine, going through initialising the devices etc... then the
last screen I can see has thing like the following:

find: not found
date: not found
uname: not found
cp /etc/motd - not found
can't exec getty - /usr/libexec/getty for /dev/ttyv0
can't exec getty - /usr/libexec/getty for /dev/ttyv1
can't exec getty - /usr/libexec/getty for /dev/ttyv2
can't exec getty - /usr/libexec/getty for /dev/ttyv3
can't exec getty - /usr/libexec/getty for /dev/ttyv4
can't exec getty - /usr/libexec/getty for /dev/ttyv5
can't exec getty - /usr/libexec/getty for /dev/ttyv6
can't exec getty - /usr/libexec/getty for /dev/ttyv7

so I'm wondering what's going on! I tried to have only one FreeBSD
slice within it's 'dos partition'. Perhaps I have to have a separate
/usr partition?

Perhaps some of these executables have to be in the first 500Mb of the disk...

any help would be greatly appreciated.. once again, this is what
happens straight after the install, on the first boot, and there
appears no getting around it but to try and reinstall again which
doesn't work either... perhaps I should boot up of a rescue floppy
and try and work out what's going wrong that way?

cheers
jesse

       Jesse Reynolds - Virtual Artists Pty Ltd - http://www.va.com.au
             Email: jesse (at) va.com.au        - http://virtual.artists