Date:      Tue, 18 Feb 2003 09:14:33 +0000
From:      Matthew Seaman <m.seaman@infracaninophile.co.uk>
To:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: an "easy mouse question" 4U but "alusive" 2Me

On Mon, Feb 17, 2003 at 09:44:01PM -0700, techie wrote:
> Dear FreeBSD moderators,
>
> First, awesome O/S people!  I thank all of you wholeheartedly. The question
> is "that" little mouse program or daemonlet that allows you
> to "block",  "cut and paste" from the command line/console TO  X-window <or>
> Gnome session windows is causing my generic style, p/s 2 mouse not to work
> properly when I start up X.
>
> I was flying thru your sysinstall program in the wee hours of the morning
> or daemonlet that I said "yes" to at a dialogue window.   So, who's the
> program and where does he live?  I'd like to turn it off. It is starting up
> in one of your run-levels somewhere.
>
> **whatever it is, it creates a ghostlike "mouse cursor" to show up even when
> you are working in command line/console mode.

You're seeing the effect of moused(8).  It's normal behaviour.  If you
don't want mouse functionality on the console (ie. outside of X
Windows), delete the

    moused_enable="YES"

line from /etc/rc.conf, tweak the mouse configuration in
/etc/X11/XF86Config and reboot.  Look at the rc.conf(5) man page for
more details.

Generally however, people on this list have reported that the easiest
way of configuring a mouse under X Windows is to enable moused, and
then have something like this in XF86Config:

    Section "InputDevice"
            Identifier  "Mouse0"
            Driver      "mouse"
            Option      "Protocol" "auto"
            Option      "Device" "/dev/mouse"
    EndSection

Optionally there may be various extra flags to moused(8) and
modifications to XF86Config in order to enable rollers and extra
buttons on the mouse.

As far as I know, it's not possible to cut from a console and then
paste into X or vice versa.  Console to console or X to X is what
works.

Oh, (being excessively pedantic here) FreeBSD and the *BSD's in
general don't use the concept of 'runlevels'.  That's a SysV thing
as seen in Solaris, Linux or IRIX for example.

> ** more remotely, I noticed your device probe calling my generic PS 2 mouse
> a "glidepoint" on the second psm0:line?? it reads as follows:
>

> psm0: <p/s 2 MOuse> irq 12 on atkbdc0 (thats right)
> psm0: model Glidepoint mouse, device ID 0 (what in tarnation is that??)

This is the psm mouse driver reporting what capabilities the mouse
has: it seems to think you've got one of those touchpad devices you
often get in portables, rather than a real mouse.  Probably all it
really means is that your mouse has more than the basic two or three
buttons.  If you can see a mouse sprite that tracks around the screen
mouse behave reasonably, then don't worry about it.

	Cheers,

	Matthew

                                                      Savill Way