Date:      Thu, 29 May 2008 08:55:44 -0400
From:      Steve Bertrand <iaccounts@ibctech.ca>
To:        Kevin Oberman <oberman@es.net>
Cc:        freebsd-net@freebsd.org, Doug Barton <dougb@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   Re: IPv6/IPv4 DNS resolver source

>> If you lose your IPv6 connectivity (or worse, if it's up but not
>> performing well) you will run into problems with your end users that
>> have IPv6 enabled because when it's on it is generally tried first.
>> Since more and more operating systems come with IPv6 enabled by
>> default, and more and more networks worldwide are enabling it for
>> their users, this can be a problem.

Essentially, this is exactly why the only box that I have in production
with IPv6 is my own personal server. The production network has internal
IPv6 connectivity, but no DNS AAAA records until I find out how badly my
own gear will react in certain events.

>> In an ideal world you'll want to be able to monitor your IPv6
>> connectivity from key points outside your network, and alert $SOMEONE
>> if it isn't working properly. If it's a prolonged outage you will
>> probably want to update DNS to withdraw your AAAA records, and at
>> least to start with you'll want them to have a fairly short TTL when
>> they are in the zone.

Generally, the zone that I have AAAA and A records for a single name
have five minute TTLs for this purpose.

>> Although it is not popular with the "IPv6 do or die!" crowd, one
>> procedure I recommend in the early stages of IPv6 deployment is to set
>> up nameservers that only listen on IPv6 addresses, and only add the
>> AAAA records to the zone files on those nameservers. (The AAAA records
>> for the nameservers will have to be in all zone files of course.) At
>> least that way you will be sure that the people you serve AAAA records
>> to have _some_ kind of IPv6 connectivity, and that your end is at
>> least up before sending your end users there. This is not a foolproof
>> system because there is not necessarily a 1-to-1 relationship between
>> the network that the resolver is on and the network the user is on,
>> but for the vast majority it will be, and it's a lot better when
>> rolling out to take baby steps till you have found all/most of the
>> land mines.
>
> While this idea makes a bit of sense, the single most popular OS for the
> desktop is Windows XP and will not issue IPv6 DNS queries. While XP runs
> IPv6 just fine, all name resolution is over V4, so if people do what you
> suggest, they will always use IPv4. You will see traffic from MacOS,
> Unix and Vista, but that is a fairly small part of the end-user world.

I agree that the idea makes sense, but also completely understand where
Kevin is coming from. All things considered now, I may end up whipping
up a monitor script to reload BIND with an alternate (IPv4 only) zone
file for the affected domains if I can't ping my IPv6 BGP peer. That
$SOMEONE you mentioned above could be nobody ;)

> And I am probably in the "IPv6 do or die!" crowd as I see some really
> big problems arising in the next coming few years with IPv4 address
> exhaustion and several other things that can only be addressed when a
> large portion of the 'eyeballs' are running over IPv6 exclusively. (Dual
> stack does not really do much good.)

Unfortunately, there are reasons why I have to be dual stacked, some of
  which are beyond my control, and others because I am not overly
confident with the lack of consensus in the IETF regarding transition
yet. I would highly prefer to be dual-stacked at this point, then to
have to perform *any* sort of translation, again, due to lack of
consensus within the IETF.

When an agreed upon standard is created for rock-solid global IPv6
connectivity, I'll be one of the first to hand ARIN back my v4 addresses.

Doug mentioned a great mailing list (that I'm currently on). For those
interested, here are some more:

- v6ops@ops.ietf.org
- ipv6canada@ipv6forum.com

Thanks for the great feedback.