Date:      Sun, 18 Nov 2001 07:46:36 -0600
From:      jacks@sage-american.com
To:        "Matthew Emmerton" <matt@gsicomp.on.ca>, <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: More PPPoE DSL

Matt: Yes, I read Renaud's paper about that bug which had me thinking in
that direction. However, the settings in the registry of the Win2K machines
are okay being set at the 1492 mtu already.

What is driving me bonkers is that everthing was working fine for the first
8 days on DSL connection. After an electrical storm caused the Win2K
gateway's OS to become unstable, I decided to re-install everything since
it had been running the Win2 OS for almost 2 years.

Then the problem started. My main concern is the FreeBSD boxes which do
nitely tasks with a remote using the FTP up and downloads... the down
works, but not the upload. The bandaid is to switch back to the ISDN each
night, but that is not an automatic solution as it was before when the DSL
stayed connected.... this is my motivation for trying to set up PPP on one
of the BSDs.

This is really "bugging" me and have spent days looking for the solution.

At 11:22 PM 11.17.2001 -0500, Matthew Emmerton wrote:
>> As an update to earlier posts, I finally configured the PPP and have made
>> connection on a PPPoE DSL 4.4-STABLE setup, but have not pinged out yet.
>> I've had to stop there for now for other duties.
>>
>> In the meantime, back to normal work using a Win2K DSL gateway setup for
>> the LAN which includes Win2K and FreeBSD stations. It's a dynamic IP ISP
>> connection. The gateway Win2K machine with the DSL has NO problems with
>any
>> applications.
>>
>> BUT, with the other machines on the LAN, there are a couple of problems...
>> only with email replies and FTP UPloading. While I don't have any problems
>> whith downloading using the BSDs (or the Win2Ks either), I can't upload...
>> it starts, then locks up & has to be rebooted to break the connections. I
>> suspect MTU size packets may be the culprit. It should be set to 1492, but
>> the ifconfig -a shows the BSD interface set at 1500.
>
>It's quite possible that when using the Win2K machine as your gateway,
>traffic from other hosts on the LAN isn't getting handle properly out on the
>Internet, and never makes it back to your LAN.  This is known as the TCP MSS
>bug, and is explained here (http://www.daemonnews.org/200101/pppoe.html, see
>section 6.3), along with instructions on how to fix your Win2K machine.
>(Ignore the 'enable tcpmssfixup' stuff -- it's the default in FreeBSD's PPP
>now.)
>
>--
>Matt Emmerton

Best regards,