Date:      Tue, 9 Jul 2002 18:56:30 -0500
From:      "Richard Seaman, Jr." <dick@seaman.org>
To:        "Joel M. Baldwin" <qumqats@outel.org>
Cc:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG, luigi@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: natd core dumping with bus error

On Thu, Jul 04, 2002 at 09:20:38AM -0500, Richard Seaman, Jr. wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 02, 2002 at 06:04:36PM -0700, Joel M. Baldwin wrote:
> >

> > Something has messed up natd.  If I don't have the
> > punch_fw option in the /etc/natd.conf file it eventuially
> > core dumps with a bus error.  I think this started JUST
> > BEFORE the KSE commit.
>
> Yes, I've seen the same thing on a pre-KSE kernel. The error
> occurs in PunchFWHole in alias_db.c in libalias.  Reverting
> the following commit seems to fix it (I haven't had a chance
> to investigate further):
>
> luigi       2002/06/27 16:02:18 PDT
>
>   Modified files:
>     sbin/ipfw            Makefile
>     sys/netinet          ip_dummynet.c ip_fw.h
>     sys/conf             files
>     lib/libalias         alias_db.c
>   Added files:
>     sbin/ipfw            ipfw2.c
>     sys/netinet          ip_fw2.c
>   Log:
>   The new ipfw code.

I upgraded my pre-KSE kernel and system to the latest versions
of these files, and recompiled natd, ipfw, libalias, and the
kernel.

natd is now stable.  The firewall rules appear to be working
correctly as well (I started temporarily logging most packets,
and the log files show that the packets are accepted/denied as
indicated by the rules I gave it).

--
Richard Seaman, Jr.        email:    dick@seaman.org
5182 N. Maple Lane         phone:    262-367-5450