Date:      Tue, 18 Aug 1998 13:07:02 -0500
From:      "Richard M. Neswold" <rneswold@drmemory.fnal.gov>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        David Martin <dmartin@sdln.net>
Subject:   Re: 2.2.7 errors

If memory serves, didn't David Martin say:

> It seems that every file that root touches on my
> freebsd 2.2.7 machine inherit a line full of U's.
>
> The problem also appears in ordinary files.  For instance,
> after adding myself to the wheel group in /etc/group
> it decided to put the U's in front of wheel.  This
> of course screwed everything up and doing a ls -al of
> / showed that the files belonged to root UUUUUUUwheel.
> This is easy to fix, as long as it's a normal file, just
> pico and remove the U's.  However when doing the perl
> install it put's the U's in front of #!/bin/sh and then
> the install program can't find the shell so it aborts.
>
> Has anyone else had a similar experience?

Yes. I've been trying to figure out why this was occurring, and I
think you solved the problem! I use 'mutt' as my mailer, but invoke
'pico' to edit the messages. Occasionally, some of my outgoing mail
has UUUUU's at the beginning of the file. 'pico' appears to have a
bug.

Looks like you're going to have to learn 'vi'! :-)

Seriously, though, you should probably send in a bug report to the
Pine/Pico developers.

--
  Rich