Date:      Wed, 18 Aug 1999 01:58:02 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Mike Nowlin <mike@argos.org>
To:        Brett Glass <brett@lariat.org>
Cc:        freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   RE: OpenBSD

> One snag, though: OpenBSD, like NetBSD, is cross-platform and is maintained
> on quite a few CPUs and machine architectures. Would FreeBSD be willing to
> go that route?

I'd sure hope so...  Let's face it -- even though FreeBSD is (in my
opinion) the most "robust" out of the bunch, the x86 architecture isn't
going to win any awards for performance....  Cheap, yes.  Easy, yes.
Works for the most part, yes.  But it's still based off of the idea that
we need to be backwards-compatible with the late 1700's.  The Alpha port
of FBSD is A Good Thing (I'm hoping to try it out this weekend on a couple
of the Alpha machines I have available for playing with), but the high-end
boxes are pretty pricey.  You can find multi-processor SPARC machines
being practically given away by companies who don't know what they're
capable of, not to mention several other platforms.

If the code bits are merged together properly (key word), maintaining a
multiple-architecture source tree shouldn't be that difficult -- just make
sure the machine-dependant parts all end up with the same ways of doing
things...

After all -- if Microsloth can do it with NT......  :)

--mike