Date:      Thu, 8 Jan 2004 23:01:58 +0000
From:      Ceri Davies <ceri@submonkey.net>
To:        Paul Robinson <paul@iconoplex.co.uk>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: A way to clean up PRs?

--6FinHCQBQ0zFDOqT

On Thu, Jan 08, 2004 at 10:51:53PM +0000, Paul Robinson wrote:
> Just a thought:
>=20
> How about everything that hasn't been touched in 3 years gets put into a=
=20
> special state of "closed-believed-dead", everything over 12 months (or=20
> 6?) gets the same AFTER an e-mail has been sent out to the originator to=
=20
> see if the problem still exists?
>=20
> It's just that way, I think a lot of PRs for obsolete hardware and=20
> versions will get closed up, thereby making it easier for those of us=20
> trying to pick our way through and see what is still new and relevant=20
> and in need of some love and care and attention. If somebody still has=20
> the problem and it's an issue, it just gets a new PR that comes back on=
=20
> the top of the queue, it's live and we can deal with PRs as they come in.
>=20
> Thoughts? Just a thought that might help clean up the DB on an idle=20
> Thursday evening. I'm sure it's been thought of before.

Well, here's a extract from a mail I sent to another non-committer
interested in doing the same thing, about two days ago.  Note that we
do already timeout PRs in feedback after a period of time without a
reply (currently 3 months).

Also note that there's a bugbusters@ list where this kind of discussion
should live, but I think I may be the only person subscribed (although
rousing the list is really my responsibility, I've yet to think up a
good enough scheme).

Forwarded mail:

	Thanks for the offer of help.
=09
	Sending stuff to current could be considered useful, but committers
	interested in fixing bugs (which is hopefully all of them!) will all be
	subscribed to freebsd-bugs@, which means that by simply submitting a
	followup to the PR they'll get automatically notified.
=09
	There a few ways for non-committers to help out though:  if you think
	that a PR can be closed, then submit a followup to the PR with the
	reason why, and include the string "This PR can be closed".  The reason
	can be anything from "this isn't a problem on later releases", "this was
	fixed in revision x of src/foo/bar/quux.c" to "the user is at fault".
=09
	Just because a PR can't be closed though, if you have information to
	add to a PR (an updated patch, "cannot replicate here", etc.) then send
	it in as a followup.  Of course, if you know of (or can code) a fix, send
	it!

Ceri
--=20

--6FinHCQBQ0zFDOqT