Date:      Tue, 26 Jan 1999 00:26:09 -0500
From:      "Mark S. Reichman" <mark@borg.com>
To:        Kenneth Richardson <midiman@ionet.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: I hate to ask this but....

Do not exit xwindows.
You need two xterm sessions.  Type ppp at one xterm
and get it going.  ppp will tie up this xterm while you are surfing.
It will not give the prompt back.  In the second xterm after
getting a connection to your ISP type "netscap &"   <--- no quotes.
This will launch netscape and dissassociate it from the xterm
giving your prompt back. You can start two xterms two ways.

add:

xterm &
xterm &

to your .xinitrc file if using startx or .xsession if using xdm
or when in xwindows if you already have
and xterm up just type "xterm &" at the prompt.
Read up on all of xterm switches you may want to add later after
you get this part figured.

                           later

Kenneth Richardson wrote:

> I bought the full BSD ($80) with the big book. I have it up and running.
>
> I've connected an X2 modem to sio1. I have xwindows and netscape
> installed. I can do xinit and start xwindows then in the terminal screen
> in xwinows start netscape. It comes up but can't find any address on the
> WWW. That's because I haven't made a connection to my ISP.
>
> I terminate xwindows and netscape and start ppp. I dial into my ISP and
> login with my username and password.
>
> At this point, how can I start xwindows and netscape and browse the web?
>
> This is probably a stupid question, but I can't figure it out. Any
> suggestions?
>
> Kenny

                    \|/
                   (@ @)