Date:      Mon, 11 Sep 2000 13:59:38 -0500 (CDT)
From:      "Ryan T. Dean" <rtdean@cytherianage.net>
To:        danh@gelatinous.com
Cc:        stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: "unknown option "IPFILTER_LKM"" when configuring my 4.1 kernel / problem with installing ipf

On 11 Sep 2000 danh@gelatinous.com wrote:

> Hi I have a machine running 4.1, and just to make sure
> I did a recent cvsup and make world.  I tried running
> ipfilter... it didn't work.  ok... so I downloaded the
> current ipfilter source, installed it in /usr/ports,
> followed the FreeBSD install instructions, after compiling
> the module it adds a line to my kernel config file, and
> I get the following error when trying to run config on my kernel:
>
> 	pork# pwd
> 	/usr/src/sys/i386/conf
> 	pork# /usr/sbin/config MORBO
> 	MORBO:244: unknown option "IPFILTER_LKM"
>
> What am I doing wrong?

I use ipfilter, and I've never had to build it from the ports
tree.  I do, however, have the following in my kernel file (MAHASAMATMAN):

options	IPFIREWALL
options	IPFIREWALL_FORWARD
options	IPFILTER
options	IPDIVERT
options	IPSTEALTH

When I (cd /usr/src; make buildkernel KERNEL=MAHASAMATMAN; make
installkernel KERNEL=MAHASAMATMAN), it works just fine (ipfilter, that
is).  IIRC, the IPfilter code is in the /usr/src/sys tree already, you
just need to enable it with the options.

Cheers!

		-Ryan T. Dean