Date:      Wed, 17 Nov 2004 17:16:43 +1030
From:      Greg 'groggy' Lehey <grog@FreeBSD.org>
To:        wiqd <wiqd@codelounge.co.za>
Cc:        freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   Duplicate messages (was: Somewhat OT)

--WR+jf/RUebEcofwt

On Wednesday, 17 November 2004 at  8:26:22 +0200, wiqd wrote:
> I know this has absolutely nothing to do with the topic of this list,
> but could someone please explain to me why I get 2 copies of every
> single message sent to the list ?
>
> I have tried everything I can think of, however I still get duplicate
> messages.
>
> Is there something I have missed ?

Examples, maybe?

It's a convention in most FreeBSD lists to reply to both the list and
the sender, so you should get two copies of this list, one directly
from me and the other from the list.  That should be evident from the
headers.  If you get three, then there's a chance that you're
subscribed under two different names.  Again, the headers will tell
you more about what's going on.

To get rid of the duplicates, put this in your .procmailrc:

# Avoid messages with duplicate Message-ID
:0 W: msgid.lock
| formail -D 65536 msgid.cache

Greg

--WR+jf/RUebEcofwt