Date:      Sat, 25 Sep 1999 15:34:31 +0200
From:      Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@critter.freebsd.dk>
To:        Alexander Bezroutchko <abb@zenon.net>
Cc:        freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: about jail

In message <19990925171712.A80535@zenon.net>, Alexander Bezroutchko writes:

>* ping, traceroute doesn't work due to lack of permissionis to create icmp socket.
> I think it is simple to make workaround for such problems:
> create a daemon listening on a unix domain socket for request from a jail.
> Daemon will take request and the pid of requesting process, validate it,
> process and return answer to client.

That would work.

>* only one IP address is available in jail
> It is acceptable limitation, but some daemons would like to use localhost
> address (127.0.0.1).

127.0.0.1 is mapped to the jail address.  telnet localhost does what
you'd expect it to.

>* whole kernel MIB is readable, and kern.hostname is writable from jail
> I think we should restrict information about system available from jail --
> leave readable only data required for proper work of libc
> functions like gethostname,getpagesize,sysconf, etc.

kern.hostname only writes the name for that jail.

> If we leave kern.hostname writable from jail, we should
> add new field to `struct jail', say `jailname'.

It's called "p_prison->pr_host" and it was there from day #1.

> And
> /proc/<PID>/status must show this value.

It already does.

>* scheduling
> Scheduler must provide equal time quantum to each jail. I think
> something like "fair share scheduler" required. Is there any plans
> to implement such scheme in FreeBSD ?

Not from me.

>* resource limits
> Current resource limit scheme does not provide enough isolation of jails.

no plans.

>* it is possible to escape from jail
> Following program escapes from jail (tested under 4.0-19990918-CURRENT):

You're right, I've overlooked that one.  Will fix.

>Does anybody already encountered and solved problems described above
>or have an ideas ?

No, this is the first one I've heard about.

FreeBSD -- It will take a long time before progress goes too far!