Date:      Wed, 22 Oct 1997 14:34:59 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Dan Busarow <dan@dpcsys.com>
To:        Sara Gronim <sgronim@panix.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: PPP

On Wed, 22 Oct 1997, Sara Gronim wrote:
> 	dti.net:
> 		set phone 12128860541
> 		set login "TIMEOUT 10 gin:-BREAK-gin: sporkl word: pass
> col: ppp"
> 		set timeout 120
> 		set ifaddr 10.1.1.1/0 10.2.2.2/0
> 		delete ALL
> 		add 0 0 HISADDR
> 		set openmode active

Since you are set for a normal (ie non-PAP/CHAP) login,
set openmode active may cause problems.  It's supposed to
initiate the PAP/CHAP exchange.

> my host.conf reads:
> 	hosts
> 	bind
> 	127.0.0.1 localhost
> 	206.252.128.9 dti.net

The last two belong in /etc/hosts, not /etc/host.conf

> When i type "ppp -auto dti.net" from the prompt, it doesn't error but
> it returns me to the prompt without doing anything.

That's what it is supposed to do.  -auto mode will bring up the
link when it is needed, like when you try to open a POP connection
to your ISP.

> when i go into interactive mode, and type "dial dti.net" it says
>
> dial 1 of 1
> phone: 12128860541
> connect failed

ppp can't talk to your modem.  You should change your "set speed"
line to 57600 or 115200, or even 38400.  28800 is modem to modem,
your port speed should always be higher.  Is the modem for sure
on COM1?  Do you have permissions to write to /dev/cuaa0 ?

Dan
--
 Dan Busarow                                                  714 443 4172
 DPC Systems / Beach.Net                                    dan@dpcsys.com