Date:      Tue, 7 Jul 1998 19:10:02 -0400
From:      Leo Papandreou <leo@talcom.net>
To:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: How to set an environment variable?

On Mon, Jul 06, 1998 at 12:52:31PM -0400, Schuder, Rick wrote:

> Eggdrop now requires Tcl to compile.  If you already have Tcl
> installed on this system, and I just wasn't looking in the right
> place for it, set the environment variables TCLLIB and TCLINC so
> I will know where to find 'libtcl.a' (or 'libtcl.so') and 'tcl.h'
> (respectively).  Then run 'configure' again.
>
> The file "tcl.h" exists on the system in /usr/local/include/tcl7.6.98

You will find libtcl.* in /usr/lib or /usr/local/lib. If not, try
running
      find / -type f -name libtcl.* -print

tcl.h is probably in /usr/local/include/tcl/ or /usr/include/tcl/,
      find / -type f -name tcl.h -print
if it isnt.

> How do I set an environment variable TCLINC so that the configure script
> will find tcl.h ?

Depends on what shell you are using. Bourne shells follow the following
syntax:
            VARIABLE=string ; export VARIABLE
while csh derivaties use
            setenv VARIABLE string
I believe.

For example,

leo@homer[~] (666) WORLD=hello
leo@homer[~] (667) export WORLD
leo@homer[~] (668) echo WORLD
WORLD
leo@homer[~] (669) echo $WORLD
hello
leo@homer[~] (690)

Look at ~/.profile and ~/.cshrc for examples and man sh or man csh
for explanations.