Date:      Tue, 5 Feb 2002 12:51:49 +1100
From:      Edwin Groothuis <edwin@mavetju.org>
To:        "Vega, Cesar" <cesar.vega@eds.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Slow response from inetd services

On Mon, Feb 04, 2002 at 04:58:51PM -0600, Vega, Cesar wrote:
> I'm new in FreeBSD and I have my first problem:
>
> I installed FreeBSD 4.2 (I only have that version and I don't have Internet
> access from here in order to install a more recent version via ftp). I'm
> using the kernel security level # 2. I know that in this level inetd isn't
> enabled by default, but because I need it in order to run some network
> services, I activated inetd in /etc/rc.conf.
>
> All works OK, except that my inetd services respond very, very slow. There
> isn't a firewall between my machine and the FreeBSD box, so I don't know
> what the problem is. Maybe some kind of encryption/authentication or
> something like that? I'm using TCP-Wrappers in /etc/inetd.conf, but I have
> the same slow response without TCP-Wrappers. I compiled TCP-Wrappers, I
> haven't installed the package.

Inetd is waiting for DNS answers, which aren't going to come if
you're not on the next. Best thing is to do is to disable DNS lookups
by commenting out the statement in /etc/resolv.conf. Once you have
internet-connectitivity, or a proper working named somewhere, enable
it again.

Edwin

--
Edwin Groothuis   |              Personal website: http://www.MavEtJu.org