Date:      Tue, 23 Aug 2005 05:25:08 +0200
From:      Emanuel Strobl <Emanuel.strobl@gmx.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Cc:        Karol Krizka <kkrizka@gmail.com>
Subject:   Re: Slow Install CD

--nextPart3104806.qfLZWiGF3V

Am Dienstag, 23. August 2005 05:09 CEST schrieb Karol Krizka:
> Hi,
> I managed to come accross this old Compaq Proliant server and wanted
> to try it out for a personal webserver. Since I wanted to try out BSD,
> I decided to go with it as the operating system. My choice distro (or
> what do you call it?) was FreeBSD because I use Gentoo Linux and it's
> package system is a rip-off of FreeBSD's ports. I figured that would
> be the easiest transition.
>
> Now, I am not totally sure which model the server is, but I know that
> it has a 200Mhz cpu and 128 MB of RAM. Suprisingly after I booted it
> up (after several tries) I saw the WinXP bootlogo and soon was at the
> login screen. If it can run that, it can run almost anything! So I put
> the bootonly bsd cd that I downloaded a couple of days ago and got it
> to boot. That went well, exept there is a bit of a problem. The input
> is veeery slow. I press a down arrow and have to wait a minute for it
> to happen. There was no lag in the installed XP, so what might have
> brough about it in BSD?

Hmm, I can't see any reason for that symptom, have never heard before and=20
can't verify that, but I'd suggested to disable ACPI and see if that=20
helps. Often you get old hardware with broken ACPI BIOS implementations,=20
and I guess you won't find a standard compliant update for a 200Mhz=20
anything (guessing i386) CPU!
So try to set 'hint.acpi.0.disabled=3D1' in /boot/loader.conf
If that helps, please provide feedback, then probably your BIOS has to be=20
blacklisted, so nobody else has to run into the same problem.

=2DHarry