Date:      Wed, 28 Jan 1998 20:55:17 -0500 (EST)
From:      Chuck Robey <chuckr@glue.umd.edu>
To:        James Raynard <fhackers@demon.co.uk>
Cc:        Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>, Amancio Hasty <hasty@rah.star-gate.com>, multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: http://www.descent2.com/ddn/sources/descent1/index.html

On Wed, 28 Jan 1998, James Raynard wrote:

> On Wed, Jan 28, 1998 at 07:00:21PM +1030, Mike Smith wrote:
> >
> > > It does *not* compile on FreeBSD and some of the modules use MASM.
> >
> > "some"?!  This will need someone with a *working* MASM-to-gas
> > translator, or a penchant for x86 assembler and vector math.
>
> I don't have it on my system at the moment, but I think nasm
> (in the ports) will accept MASM input and produce a .o file
> that's linkable with GNU ld.

No.  Nasm is pretty close to MASM format, but it won't directly assemble,
and the format of macros is pretty far apart.  From what I can tell, the
format of the NASM stuff is the best of the three I know (TASM/MASM, NASM,
and the horrible GAS/AT&T format).  I wish that gcc could be twisted to
use NASM, it's far better to code in.  NASM will produce either coff or
the Intel OMF or ELF formats.  It's the only one of the three that will do
that.

> --
> In theory, theory is better than practice.  In practice, it isn't.
> James Raynard, Edinburgh, Scotland.   http://www.freebsd.org/~jraynard/

213 Lakeside Drive Apt T-1  |