Date:      Wed, 4 Apr 2001 09:53:33 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Matt Dillon <dillon@earth.backplane.com>
To:        Robert Watson <rwatson@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        Alfred Perlstein <bright@wintelcom.net>, Brian Somers <brian@Awfulhak.org>, freebsd-arch@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Eliminate crget() from nfs kernel code?

:For those interested in giving the p->p_ucred version a try, the simply
:patch is below.  It works between FreeBSD boxes, and my tests against
:Solaris 5.5.  Unfortunately, my remote NFS test box already has interop
:problems with Linux due to the new mount_nfs that I haven't applied
:patches to yet, so I can't test that case.
:
:Robert N M Watson             FreeBSD Core Team, TrustedBSD Project
:robert@fledge.watson.org      NAI Labs, Safeport Network Services

    It occurs to me that we may have a general problem with p->p_ucred
    here.  For KSEs to work, processes will not be able to assume that
    they 'own' p->p_ucred if/when they block.  What happens if one thread
    is blocked in a system call that is using p->p_ucred directly without
    bumping its ref count and another thread goes in and changes the cred?

						-Matt