Date:      Mon, 5 Aug 2002 10:18:41 -0400 (EDT)
From:      John Bleichert <syborg@stny.rr.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Help: Ethernet or Sound card, but not both!

I have a similar problem on my thinkpad with my soundcard and any
PC-cards. The problem is a resource conflict, the 2 devices are probably
sharing an IRQ and/or an I/O range.

Not sure how you'd fix this, it depends on the hardware. Some mobo's allow
you to manually set IRQ's and such but this is extremely hazardous if you
dual-boot the machine or if you have any data on it you don't want to
lose. Fubarring your IRQ settings can give you a very dead box, or at
least one that won't boot past the BIOS ;-)

It looks like your sound and NIC cards are using IRQ 5 and 10,
respectively - is your BIOS doing any bizarre (re)mapping between these
interrupts?

/*
 * John Bleichert
 * syborg@stny.rr.com