Date:      Mon, 26 Nov 2007 23:18:00 +0000
From:      "Frank Shute" <frank@esperance-linux.co.uk>
To:        Jayton Garnett <jayton.garnett@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: 6.3 Pre-Release

On Mon, Nov 26, 2007 at 10:25:37PM +0000, Jayton Garnett wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> Last night I unwittingly upgraded to 6.3 pre-release, by using the
> stable-supfile, didn't realize it would go to a pre-release.

The release process is stable goes to pre-release, then rc (maybe more
than one). The release is made and we go back to stable again.

> I have already noticed some instability,  so far with xmms it keeps
> crashing out on me  while playing MP3s, which it did not do on 6.2.
> I still have more to test, which I'll do tomorrow, I just checked my
> mail and put some MP3s on tonight while doing non-puter things.
>
> Is anyone else running 6.3PR with ports as of 1 week ago?

I am:

FreeBSD melon.esperance-linux.co.uk 6.3-PRERELEASE FreeBSD 6.3-PRERELEASE #0: Thu Nov 15 16:09:06 GMT 2007     root@melon.esperance-linux.co.uk:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/MELON_UP  i386

Although, I've supped my ports since then.

I've found it pretty solid although vim crashed on me for the 1st time
in 10 years.

I've no idea whether it was because of the OS or application but it
recovered fine and hasn't crashed again.

As for xmms:

[frank@melon:frank/latex/misc]
$ xmms
Gdk-ERROR **: BadMatch (invalid parameter attributes)
Gdk-ERROR **: BadMatch (invalid parameter attributes)
[frank@melon:frank/latex/misc]
$

I haven't really looked into it (it's got umpteen dependencies), just
rebuilt it to see if that did any good (it didn't).

Should file a pr if others are getting problems with this port too.

I just use mplayer for now.

BTW: xmms-1.2.10_10

--

 Frank