Date:      Sun, 12 Nov 2000 16:25:21 +0800
From:      "Mathias Körber" <mathias@koerber.org>
To:        "Greg Lehey" <grog@lemis.com>, "Mathias Körber" <mathias@koerber.org>
Cc:        <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: More partitions on a single slice?

> > yes, but symlinking /usr/local to /home/local is ugly. It encroaches =
on
> > the diskspace set aside for users own (personal) files.
>=20
> That's a circular argument.  It only encroaches if you set aside
> enough space for users' own (personal) files.  I'm advocating more
> space.

No it's not circular. I set aside X MB for users' /home, thus I don't
want (localized) system stuff to use up that space too. Where is
there any circular reasoning in that? I advocate separating different
uses of space.

> > Quotas apply on a per user basis, not on a per-application basis.
> > If I have several users working on the same application etc,
> > I'd have to restrict them separately for this (and if the app
> > lived on the same FS as eg /home, then I'd simultaneously
> > restrict them in their /home, as quotas are only as granular as your
> > filesystem).
>=20
> This is possibly a valid counterargument.  Can you give a convincing
> example?

I'll try and think one up..

> > But why then have this arbitrary restrictions in the first place?
>=20
> They've been there forever.  I can't remember a UNIX which really
> gives significantly more than 7 file system partitions.  System V has
> a total of 15, but most of them are special purpose.  And I suppose
> the general feeling is "if it ain't broke, don't fix it".

Linux does (at least on ide disks): up to 23 partitions (I think)
The SCSI driver has a lower limit (16?).

I agree that 23 is a bit excessive, but 15 or 16 sounds at least
reasonable, as it allows separating out several areas and not forces
one to combine different contents.

But I agree, this is religious topic, and we'll like go in circles here.