Date:      02 Jan 2003 16:06:48 -0500
From:      David Magda <dmagda@magda.ca>
To:        Bosko Milekic <bmilekic@unixdaemons.com>
Cc:        Murat Bicer <murat+freebsd@bicer.org>, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Security updates on freebsd stable

Bosko Milekic <bmilekic@unixdaemons.com> writes:
>   You can do several things, depending on your needs.  If these are
>   production servers then I would not recommend just blindly having them
>   cvsup RELENG_4 and rebuilding themselves every couple of weeks.
>   Instead, you may want to have one machine store and NFS export the
[...]

For production servers the Handbook recommends using RELENG_4_x;
where x is the latest release. So now it would be at RELENG_4_7 since
FreeBSD 4.7 is the latest release.

RELENG_4 may not be the best if you're worried about 1000
servers. In early December there was a thread in this (-stable)
mailing list entitled "update strategies" which may be of some
interest to the original poster; I recommend you go through the
archives and read it -- it has some good advice.

--
David Magda <dmagda at ee.ryerson.ca>