Date:      Sat, 16 Nov 2002 23:20:12 -0400 (AST)
From:      "Marc G. Fournier" <scrappy@hub.org>
To:        Peter Hoskin <peterh@ripewithdecay.com>
Cc:        Lefteris Tsintjelis <lefty@ene.asda.gr>, <freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD: Server or Desktop OS?

On Sun, 17 Nov 2002, Peter Hoskin wrote:

> Because this is development of what will become stable. Always helps to
> read the documentation.

You know, this is great for those running a desktop machine, or small
servers ... but really screws anyone that is running anything resembling a
loaded server ...

venus / jupiter are my pride and joy ... I've seen them hit loadavg's of
1000 and still be able to type (albeit very slowly) ... I've seen them hit
3500+ processes running ... I've had jupiter up to >150 jails running
before I brought venus online ... and, until today, I've been running
-STABLE on them ...

I don't expect -STABLE to be rock solid all of the time ... I follow the
commit messages, see what is changing ... I have a policy (or had until
this weekend) that states for my customers:

"As with any operating system, FreeBSD is a constantly evolving and
changing entity, with changes made to improve performance, improve
security, and improve stability being made continuously.

As such, unless something critical has come up to override that, we try
and upgrade our servers approximately every 30 days, in order to ensure
that we do not diverge to greatly from what is considered the latest
STABLE versions. "

Just before 4.7-RELEASE was tag'd and put out, Matt Dillon spent many
hours debugging a crash I was having on venus in the VM sub-system ...
since RELEASE was so close, he didn't put it in until afterwards, so, of
course, its only available in -STABLE ... this weekend, I downgraded
venus/jupiter to RELENG_4_7, so now have lost that fix until 4.8 is
released ...

What happens when RELENG_4_7 crashes?  I cvsup'd RELENG_4_7_0_RELEASE (or
whatever its tag is) and then upgraded to RELENG_4_7, just to see what
changes are in since 4.7 *was* released ... here is it:

Updating collection src-all/cvs
 Edit src/Makefile.inc1
 Edit src/UPDATING
 Edit src/contrib/bind/CHANGES
 Edit src/contrib/bind/bin/named/db_defs.h
 Edit src/contrib/bind/bin/named/db_sec.c
 Edit src/contrib/bind/bin/named/ns_defs.h
 Edit src/contrib/bind/bin/named/ns_ncache.c
 Edit src/contrib/bind/bin/named/ns_req.c
 Edit src/contrib/bind/bin/named/ns_resp.c
 Edit src/contrib/bind/lib/nameser/ns_name.c
 Edit src/contrib/bind/lib/nameser/ns_samedomain.c
 Edit src/contrib/tar/src/extract.c
 Edit src/contrib/tar/src/misc.c
 Edit src/crypto/heimdal/kadmin/version4.c
 Edit src/crypto/kerberosIV/kadmin/kadm_ser_wrap.c
 Edit src/kerberos5/include/version.h
 Edit src/kerberosIV/include/version.h
 Edit src/lib/libc/net/gethostbydns.c
 Edit src/lib/libc/net/getnetbydns.c
 Edit src/release/doc/de_DE.ISO8859-1/errata/article.sgml
 Edit src/release/doc/de_DE.ISO8859-1/hardware/alpha/article.sgml
 Edit src/release/doc/de_DE.ISO8859-1/hardware/alpha/proc-alpha.sgml
 Edit src/release/doc/de_DE.ISO8859-1/hardware/common/dev.sgml
 Edit src/release/doc/de_DE.ISO8859-1/hardware/i386/article.sgml
 Edit src/release/doc/de_DE.ISO8859-1/hardware/i386/proc-i386.sgml
 Edit src/release/doc/de_DE.ISO8859-1/installation/alpha/article.sgml
 Edit src/release/doc/de_DE.ISO8859-1/installation/i386/article.sgml
 Edit src/release/doc/de_DE.ISO8859-1/readme/article.sgml
 Edit src/release/doc/de_DE.ISO8859-1/relnotes/alpha/article.sgml
 Edit src/release/doc/de_DE.ISO8859-1/relnotes/common/new.sgml
 Edit src/release/doc/de_DE.ISO8859-1/relnotes/i386/article.sgml
 Edit src/release/doc/de_DE.ISO8859-1/share/sgml/catalog
 Edit src/release/doc/de_DE.ISO8859-1/share/sgml/release.dsl
 Delete src/release/doc/de_DE.ISO8859-1/share/sgml/release.ent
 Edit src/share/examples/cvsup/standard-supfile
 Edit src/sys/conf/newvers.sh
Finished successfully

Basically, nothing ... how many fixes are in -STABLE for bugs in the
kernel that aren't "commonly triggered", but are like little time bombs
that could be avoided?

But, back to my question "What happens when RELENG_4_7 crashes?" ... in
the past, before I did anything else, I'd upgrade to -STABLE, figuring it
might be something that someone else caught and was fixed ... but, looking
at the above changes in RELENG_4_7, it seems that reporting the crash is
more or less useless ... if its already fixed in -STABLE, is someone going
to MFC it down to RELENG_4_7?

Up until this weekend, I had two heavily used/loaded servers pounding on
-STABLE ... if one crashed, I had netdump in place to dump core to the
other server, so that I had a crashdump ... and I'd report the results I
could figure out, in hopes that *someone* would look at it and get it
fixed, or ask me for more information on the bug ... basically, I'd risk a
crash in the hopes of solidifying the OS for the next release, but I kind
of hope(d) that -STABLE would at least run for more then a day or two :(

Waiting for and upgrading to 4.8-PRERELEASE is useless, as there are times
where it takes several weeks for it to crash ...