Date:      Fri, 30 Dec 2011 13:20:28 -0800 (PST)
From:      UFS User <ufs.user@yahoo.com>
To:        Mehmet Erol Sanliturk <m.e.sanliturk@gmail.com>
Cc:        "freebsd-questions@freebsd.org" <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Why do I feel like compact flash is more reliable than SSD ?

On Fri, Dec 30, 2011 at 2:13 AM, UFS User <ufs.user@yahoo.com> wrote:

>But everyone I know (including me) has had an SSD fail, usually with no explanation.
>
>So is this just chance, or ... are CF cards really a lot more reliable than SSD ?

The following pages , and references in them , may be useful :

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solid-state_drive
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wear_leveling
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Write_amplification

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Solid-state_computer_storage_media
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Solid-state_computer_storage

No, these aren't useful at all, and further, the previous response that compared SSDs to spinning disks was also irrelevant.

I am asking why compact flash cards (which are flash) seem to be much, much more reliable and durable than SSD (which is also flash).

Why do I have CF parts running for 8+ years all over the place, but everyone I know has had SSDs fail (including me) ?

There is no mention of spinning hard disks here, nor is this about *how* flash degrades in general - because in this case, they're both flash.

Further, the failures I am seeing with SSDs are not because they wore out - they just quit.

Comments ?