Date:      Mon, 24 Jan 2011 14:40:44 -0600
From:      Brandon Gooch <jamesbrandongooch@gmail.com>
To:        Cameron Tune <cameron@camerontune.com>
Cc:        freebsd-hardware@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Problem with Highpoint 2320 Raid card

On Sat, Jan 15, 2011 at 9:46 PM, Cameron Tune <cameron@camerontune.com> wro=
te:
> Last month I purchased a Highpoint 2320 raid card, http://www.newegg.com/=
Product/Product.aspx?Item=3DN82E16816115026 , for my FreeBSD server. =A0I'm=
 new to the FreeBSD world - so please bear with me as I try to solve the fo=
llowing issue.

> With the card installed - the server hangs during the boot process. =A0I =
don't even get to the standard FreeBSD boot menus (loader prompt, single-us=
er mode, etc.), rather the freeze occurs after a "console" message and then=
 a listing of physical disks. =A0A picture of where the hang occurs is at h=
ttp://www.camerontune.com/images/photo.jpg .

> As far as I can tell this card is supported on FreeBSD (running 8.1 STABL=
E i386). =A0I've updated the motherboard bios, and have also monkeyed aroun=
d with just about every possible setting in the card's bios. =A0Motherboard=
 is a Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3P.

> I've combed through every possible log I can find in /var/logs - but I'm =
not finding anything that starts this early in the boot process. =A0I've al=
so ensured that all drivers are present and loaded in loader.conf - however=
 I don't think I'm even getting to the point of drivers being loaded.

> Any thoughts are appreciated - and please let me know if there's any addi=
tional information I can provide that may help diagnose the problem.

I had a Silicon Image Inc SATALink/SATARaid Controller (Sil 3114).
After I installed the card, the system would hang on boot every other
time, until one day it hung -- for good. I replaced it with an
identical, new card, and things have been good ever since.

Maybe you got a bad egg?

-Brandon