Date:      Fri, 31 Mar 2000 18:53:22 +1000 (EST)
From:      Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au>
To:        "Matthew D. Fuller" <fullermd@futuresouth.com>
Cc:        Matthew Dillon <dillon@apollo.backplane.com>, Andy Farkas <andyf@speednet.com.au>, freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: SMP buildworld times / performance tests

On Thu, 30 Mar 2000, Matthew D. Fuller wrote:

> Does softupdates provide faster performance than async/noatime?  I keep
> /usr/src and /usr/obj as such, would it be faster with softupdates?  And
> if so, why?

Async is theoretically faster if it is implemented properly.  It is poorly
implemented in FreeBSD, but is good enough for things like makeworld.

From my makeworld logs:

async mounts, standard kernel, standard Makefile.inc1, NOSHARED=yes
>>> elf make world started on Mon Jan 17 12:11:25 EST 2000
>>> elf make world completed on Mon Jan 17 13:23:23 EST 2000
     4317.91 real      3237.34 user       636.77 sys
     11864  maximum resident set size
      1105  average shared memory size
      1061  average unshared data size
       129  average unshared stack size
   9103073  page reclaims
     15251  page faults
         0  swaps
     40230  block input operations
      4313  block output operations
         0  messages sent
         0  messages received
         7  signals received
    372803  voluntary context switches
    198051  involuntary context switches

There were only 4313 disk writes for the whole makeworld.  This
shows that -async is doing a good job of stopping writes going to the
disk.  4313 writes is too few too take very long.

Bruce