Date:      Wed, 10 Jul 2002 10:56:14 -0700
From:      "Kevin Oberman" <oberman@es.net>
To:        Paulo Fragoso <paulo@nlink.com.br>
Cc:        Alexandr Kovalenko <never@nevermind.kiev.ua>, Gavin Atkinson <gavin@ury.york.ac.uk>, Michiel Boland <boland@alexander.diva.nl>, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: 4.6-RELEASE -> 4.5-RELENG

> Date: Wed, 19 Jun 2002 15:14:00 -0300 (BRT)
> From: Paulo Fragoso <paulo@nlink.com.br>
> Sender: owner-freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
>
> On Wed, 19 Jun 2002, Alexandr Kovalenko wrote:
>
> > You also should update your MAKEDEV script with mergemaster.
> > And to sh MAKEDEV all again. Device minor/major numbers was changed with
> > ata(4) MFC.
>
> After we redid all following this steps:
>
> make buildworld
> make installworld
> make buildkernel KERNCONF=KERNEL6
> make installkernel KERNCONF=KERNEL6
> mergemaster -a
> cd /dev && sh MAKEDEV all
>
> and restoring some files from backup (group, rc.firewall, etc), all
> is working fine.

I keep posting this because people keep building new systems in a
dangerous way.

Doing the installworld before building and booting the new kernel is
very risky. It will almost always make no difference, but, on the
rare occasions when it does, it will leave you with a VERY sick
system and the only way out maybe to re-install FreeBSD from scratch.

While there are a few niggles, the proper sequence  is:
mergemaster -p (This is NEW!)
make buildworld
make kernel KERNCONF=your_kernel_conf_name
REBOOT into single-user mode! (This does not mean drop to single user.)
fsck -p
mount -a -t ufs
cd /usr/src
make installworld
mergemaster -i (-a is a bit inadequate unless you go back and clean up
                the mess it often leaves before going to multi-user
                mode.)
exit (to multi-user mode)