Date:      Fri, 26 Mar 1999 07:57:37 +0000
From:      Nik Clayton <nik@nothing-going-on.demon.co.uk>
To:        Brett Glass <brett@lariat.org>
Cc:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@zippy.cdrom.com>, advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Swan song

Brett,

On Thu, Mar 25, 1999 at 09:43:54PM -0700, Brett Glass wrote:
> As for the specific project I most recently proposed: I still firmly
> believe that making other platforms emulate FreeBSD -- NOT the
> other way around -- is the only tactic which can save FreeBSD from being
> smothered by Linux. If FreeBSD does not establish itself as the ABI and
> API of choice, it will die -- its best code co-opted and released under
> the GPL as part of Linux, the rest discarded due to an insufficient
> user base to keep up with Linux's progress.

Then for God's sake just go and *do* it.  You don't need my blessing,
Jordan's blessing, or anyone else's blessing.  Just go and *do* it.

If you can't do it, and you can't get anyone else to do it for you, then
you're going to *have* to wake up to the fact that in volunteer projects
like this people will work on what they want, and it doesn't matter how
much someone shouts at them to do something different.

I still haven't seen you post a URL to a webpage that outlines why this
would be a good idea to a forum like -hackers, or -current, where it
would at least attract the technical people who *might* be able to
implement it for you.

Unless and until you do something like that, it just looks as if you're
whining.  I don't care what your motivations are, it *looks* like you're
whining.  That's a very effective way to annoy people, as you've
discovered.

                    Bagel: The carbohydrate with the hole