Date:      Tue, 12 Jan 1999 09:29:18 -0000
From:      "Bond, Jeffery" <Jeff.Bond@nectech.co.uk>
To:        "'FreeBSD questions'" <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        "'rephend@hoosierlink.net'" <rephend@hoosierlink.net>
Subject:   RE: Installation problems

>Hello,
>
>I have a few problems trying to install freebsd on my computer, the
>program freezes when it probes my system.  I have tried installing from
>cd-rom and from a floppy boot disk, still having the same problem. I
>realize that it says it may take awhile, but 7 hours is more than
>awhile.  Is there anything in my system that might cause it to freeze or
>something I done wrong during the first few steps?  This is the first
>time that I have tried to install anything unix based, please help.
>
>Thanks,
>
>Bryon Phend

Hi Bryon,

Did you run the kernel configuration program when the boot floppy boots?
(Choose 'visual' mode at the menu, it's easier). You'll definately need to
disable all the devices that you don't actually have, and maybe tweak the
parameters for devices you do have. (eg. Network card IO address). How far
down the probing does your system get? Does it identify the hard disks?

Jeff