Date:      Fri, 22 Dec 1995 14:33:32 -0500
From:      Allyn Hardyck <allynh@avsi.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   ipfw clarification

If possible, I'd like someone to clarify for me whether the following
scenario is possible using just ipfw and a properly configured
kernel, and whether I've got the syntax right:

With forwarding off (i.e. GATEWAY disabled) and IPFIREWALL and
IPFIREWALL_VERBOSE enabled, and a deny policy in a script fed to
ipfw, will udp packets be transmitted properly merely by having
lines in the ipfw script of the form

#CU-SeeMe
ipfw addfirewall accept udp from 0/0 7648:7652 via ep0 to 199.100.190.0/24 7648:7652 via ep1

where ep0 is my interface to the Internet and ep1 is my internal
interface?  Or must GATEWAY be enabled for this to work, for ipfw
to know how to transfer the packets from one interface to another,
i.e. the explicit "via"s ere not enough?

Thank you very much.

Allyn Hardyck                                           304 Hudson St.
Systems Administrator                                   6th floor
Avalanche Systems Inc.                                  New York NY  10013
                                                        212 675 7577
allynh@avsi.com                                     fax 212 924 4440