Date:      Fri, 30 Aug 2002 19:42:48 +0200
From:      Cejka Rudolf <cejkar@fit.vutbr.cz>
To:        Matthew Jacob <mjacob@feral.com>
Cc:        stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: EOT tape handling changed?

Matthew Jacob wrote (2002/08/29):
> I'm not sure what you're talking about here with this test program
> (deleted)- unless you've dorked with MAXPHYS defines, the maximum you
> can any tape record at is 64K.

Ah I see, thank you for very good explanation. Finally I understand,
what all changes happened. It would be really good to "copy"
EOT handling from Solaris st(7D) page to FreeBSD's sa(4) page.

I have tested again my M2 drive with 60 GB native capacity tape and
now I understand results reported by my small test program. For my
M2 drive, writing speed before logical EOT is about 10 - 15 MB/s, but
after LEOT the speed is only about 0.05 MB/s. The capacity after LEOT
seems to be around 135 MB (I reset M2 log_sense counters after first
returned zero and then readed log_sense hardware compression page after
ENOSPC error).

> Another issue then arises- should you allow I/O past Early Warning? That's
> the whole point of this funky dance. My take is that you *should* allow
> I/O (in order to write trailer records, should the application want to).

Yes, I agree that we should, but when I saw speed 0.05 MB/s after LEOT,
I started to hope that no application wants to use this feature :-)

> This is good- send me a separate note about this to remind me, would you?
> We *really* need to use hints for this, though.

Yes, of course. I have to return soon to tests of 10 new (it seems that)
very buggy data cartridges, where SmartClean is often forced many times
(I have a record 61 for one full tape pass, where in case of a good
cartridge it has to be just 0 or 1), and I will see if timeouts
disappeared and then I send something to our vendor and to you too.

--
Rudolf Cejka <cejkar at fit.vutbr.cz> http://www.fit.vutbr.cz/~cejkar
Brno University of Technology, Faculty of Information Technology