Date:      Sun, 14 Sep 2014 22:08:54 +0300
From:      Odhiambo Washington <odhiambo@gmail.com>
To:        Dave Babb <dcbdbis@comcast.net>
Cc:        User Questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Proxy Server Question

On 14 September 2014 21:41, Dave Babb <dcbdbis@comcast.net> wrote:

>  OK. fair enough.
>
> Project: I have been awarded a project in which I am changing out an
> entire cities infrastructure to be based upon FreeBSD. They will have their
> ISP demark, which then gets fed into a physical firewall appliance bolted
> to the wall, which then feeds the FreeBSD server containing the proxy
> server into NIC #0.
>
> NIC #1 (on a different subnet) will then feed the attached devices of the
> city, PC's, smart devices, printers via a 16 port switch.
>
> The purpose of the proxy servers is to put a configurable layer of proxy
> between the average city user, and the internet at large. Currently the
> city is infected with a lot of Windows virus', mainly do to the users (at
> this time) having unmanaged, unfiltered access to the Internet.....

So, besides the proxying, what else do you want to achieve in the FreeBSD
box? How many users are you looking at handling on your network? Squid will
be able to do the proxying for you, but what else you need to achieve, with
the number of client devices you expect to handle simultaneously will
determine what you will install and the sizing of this proxy machine.
Besides, you will also need failover for this machine so that you minimize
on downtime. I am thinking a good start will be thinking of an appliance -
like those done by the pfSense <http://www.pfsense.org>; guys. If you are
not going for an appliance and want to get your hands dirty, you can do it
too, though with a city, I am sure there is a budget for a suitable
appliance. My advise - head over to the pfSense forums for a solution.

--
Best regards,
Odhiambo WASHINGTON,