Date:      Thu, 5 Jun 1997 23:04:51 -0600 (MDT)
From:      Wes Peters <softweyr@xmission.com>
To:        jwb@fore.com
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   ppp and Bay

Joe Beiter writes:

 > Hi Wes,
 >
 > Thanks for your suggestions. I disabled tcp extensions in sysconfig and
 > turned on debug like you said. It didn't seem to have any effect though.
 >
 > This is what I saw in my debug log upon starting LCP
 > negotiations. The last four lines just repeat (where I'm asking for
 > 206.151.181.200 and the remote is sending me 206.151.181.126) for
 > about 50 times until the remote sends a terminate request. I can't
 > really tell if something isn't happy in this log.

Yup, this is where the problem is, alright.  Since the two ends cannot
agree on what the IP address is going to be, they just eventually give
up.  We have to find some way to get them to agree.  Have you tried
using the /bits notation in your ppp.conf?  I.e., your config file
contains something like:

 set ifaddr {myaddr}/0 {hisaddr}/0

where {myaddr} and {hisaddr} are IP addresses.  Telling your PPP that it
is OK to accept *whatever* he sends will probably get you up and
running.  Please note that I'm not all that familiar with pppd, since I
use iij-ppp myself.

 > My provider took this up with Bay who said that their new release of
 > ppp code may abide by a more strict adherence to the RFC and that it
 > may be failing because freebsd (pppd?) isn't RFC compliant.

A vendor blaming it on the other guys.  Gee, I've never seen that happen
before.  ;^)