Date:      Sat, 27 Sep 1997 15:27:03 +0930
From:      Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
To:        Dan Busarow <dan@dpcsys.com>
Cc:        Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: More ATAPI Zip news (will he ever shut up?)

> On Sat, 27 Sep 1997, Mike Smith wrote:
> > Just keeping people informed; the latest Award BIOS *does* appear to be
> > able to boot from the ATAPI Zip.  Curiouser and curiouser.
>
> That's a bit of good news.
>
> I've based a new system on booting off of these puppies and the
> one I used for testing, picked up two weeks ago, works fine.
> I'm not looking forward to coming up with an alternative.

It's not *too* good in that FreeBSD still can't use it as a drive; it
comes up as a direct-access ATAPI disk but doesn't respond as a CDROM
so it's ignored.

> The iomega web site is still refering to them as IDE Zip drives,
> has the packaging, part number or anything else changed?

I believe so; I don't have access to any of the older IDE units at the
moment, but if you have a part number on the IDE version I can compare
it with that on the ATAPI-only one later today.

mike