Date:      Mon, 28 Oct 2002 13:09:43 -0800 (PST)
From:      Julian Elischer <julian@elischer.org>
To:        Sean Chittenden <sean@chittenden.org>
Cc:        "Carlos A. Carnero Delgado" <carnero@icrt.cu>, Kevin Stevens <Kevin_Stevens@pursued-with.net>, freebsd-net@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Annoying ARP warning messages.

On Mon, 28 Oct 2002, Sean Chittenden wrote:

> > *This message was transferred with a trial version of CommuniGate(tm) Pro*
> > Sean Chittenden wrote:
> > >... Can't say as its graceful, but it's certainly a poor-man's way
> > >of getting more than 100Mbps of capacity.
> >
> > have you tried this?
> > http://bsdvault.net/sections.php?op=viewarticle&artid=98
>
> Nope, but I think I could be falling in love after having read it.
>
> In this example, does the xl0 interface share the same MAC address?

umm actually, yes.. sends switches insane.. :-)
if you don't do the step about source Mac address replacement
then they have different addresses. (though I can't guarantee that)

> How does this share the bandwidth over the interfaces?  Just guessing,
> but, I'd venture to guess that each interface has its own mac and each
> interface responds to ARP requests with its own mac...

The reason its a SIMPLE thing is becasue it's very limitted..

it just spits packets out in round robin.. it doesn't help at all for
incoming... of course you can run 2 machine sback to back with N
interfaces ganged up if you are oanly doing it in a point-to-point
manner. but it falls over in other cases.
It's good for a server puting out lots of data and only getting small
requests..
The  bulk outgoing data is spread over N interfaces but the input comes
in on the interface that is publicly known.

> what I don't
> understand is how the ARP requests are handled.  Is it just a 1st
> come, 1st serve?  By that I mean that the interface that responds
> first wins?  I thought the switch had an ARP table and that you
> couldn't have multiple mac's per IP....  I'm confused as to how this'd
> work.  :) If there's one MAC address that's shared/spoofed by the
> netgraph interface, then how does the switch decide what port to send
> the data out of?

doesn't work well with switches.. works great with hubs..

for (cisco) switches use the ng_nge code Bill Paul wrote..
the switch knows how to handle that.