Date:      Wed, 22 Aug 2001 12:52:44 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Annelise Anderson <andrsn@andrsn.stanford.edu>
To:        "Timothy J. Luoma" <luomat@peak.org>
Cc:        freebsd-newbies <freebsd-newbies@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: So I've installed, now what?

You can read Sue Blake's weekly posting on resources for newbies.

You can go to http://www.freebsd.org and find the link listing
resources for newbies.  This includes a link to my 10-page guide
for newusers.

The book I wrote for new users is also available from
mall.daemonnews.org

This includes (in Chapter 4) various stuff you can do from
/stand/sysinstall in case you didn't do it as part of installation.

Chapters 5-8 are on looking around the system, reading and editing
files, finding out what's going on, adding users, and so forth.

Chapters 9-11 are on third-party software (packages and ports)--
what's available, packages vs. ports, and how to install software
and find it and run it after it's installed.

Chapters 12-15 deal with getting your network connections set up,
getting sound working, printing, and X Window, the graphical user
interface.

Chapter 16 is kernel configuration and 17 is updating the system and/or
the ports collection.

Chapter 18 is miscellaneous (including getting color on your console),
19 is crisis management, and 20 is other resources--good web sites
of the types others have mentioned and other stuff--USENET, books, etc.

It's called FreeBSD: An Open-Source Operating System for Your
Personal Computer.

	Annelise